Duke Of Chandos

James Brydges, The Duke of Chandos

James Brydges, the First Duke of Chandos

(1673-1744)

James Brydges acquired the manor and lordship of Bridgwater in 1721. Two years earlier he had been created Marquis of Carnarvon and Duke of Chandos following his appointment in the lucrative office of Paymaster-General of the forces abroad. He used his wealth in the liberal patronage of the arts and on building in a magnificent scale.

From 1721 to about 1735, the Duke attempted to establish Bridgwater as an important industrial centre.

Amongst his ventures was the building of Castle Street with its fine rows of early Georgian houses, a distillery, a soap factory and the glassworks.

He lost money on all these projects.

Return to Top